Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Save me from my Greatest Happiness

Hello Everyone,

   I have recently come across the book "Man and Superman" by George Bernard Shaw. A four act drama based on Don Juan theme. 

   Don't ask me what is Don Juan theme. I dunno too. I just loved the book. It is humorous and is a comedy in character. Here is a small excerpt from the drama:

   A dialogue between Mr. Tanner (aka Jack) and Mr. Octavius (aka Tavy).  Both the gentlemen love a girl and for a bizarre reason, Mr. Tanner becomes the co-guardian of the girl whom he loves. Here comes the excerpt:

--x--
TANNER: Don't, Tavy: you'll make me ill. I am not a man of honor: I am a man struck down by a dead hand. Tavy: you must marry her after all and take her off my hands. And I had set my heart on saving you from her!

OCTAVIUS: Oh, Jack, you talk of saving me from
my highest happiness.

TANNER: Yes, a lifetime of happiness. If it were only the first half hour's happiness, Tavy, I would buy it for you with my last penny. But a lifetime of happiness! No man alive could bear it: it would be hell on earth.
--x--

  What do you guys say?? Is a lifetime of happiness a bane in itself?? Will you keep yourself away from lifetime of happiness? Will you shun your face on your lover for this reason? Will you run away from a fortune for this reason? 


   The book also has some thoughts to reflect, some insights to give us. For example have a look at this except: A dialog between Mr. Ramsden and Mr. Tanner between whom the relationships are not very sweet:

--x--
RAMSDEN [very deliberately] Mr Tanner: you are the most impudent person I have ever met.

TANNER.
[seriously] I know it, Ramsden. Yet even I cannot wholly conquer shame. We live in an atmosphere of shame. We are ashamed of everything that is real about us; ashamed of ourselves, of our relatives, of our incomes, of our accents, of our opinions, of our experience, just as we are ashamed of
our naked skins. Good Lord, my dear Ramsden, we are ashamed to walk, ashamed to ride in an omnibus, ashamed to hire a hansom instead of keeping a carriage, ashamed of keeping one horse instead of two and a groom-gardener instead of a coachman and footman. The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is. Why, you're ashamed to buy my book, ashamed to read it: the only thing you're not ashamed of is to judge me for it without having read it; and even that only means that you're ashamed to have heterodox opinions. Look at the effect I produce because my fairy godmother withheld from me this gift of shame.
--x--

    Well, this is true. We are ashamed to use a bike / public transport when we can afford a car. We are ashamed to be called miser. Aren't we?? Well, kinda yes. Let me know how you feel about it.

        As a favor to me, please consider buying this book on Amazon using the link given:


with warm regards
AllMyPosts

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...