Monday, October 3, 2011

Sin of Being too wise

Hello Everyone,

    How did the week go? Enjoyed the weekend? Mine was good. Hope the same with you all. 


    I was going through a old, worn out copy of Robinson Crusoe the other day and found a rather interesting and appropriate paragraph. Kindly go through the same here:
 
   When misfortune  falls upon Robinson Crusoe on his first voyage, he thinks a lot about going back to his home and settling down in trade of his father and leaving his inclination towards sea. But But, his train of thoughts is as follows:

--x--

     As to going home, shame opposed the best motions that offered to my thoughts, and it immediately occurred to me how I should be laughed at among the neighbors, and should be ashamed to see, not my father and mother only, but even everybody else; from whence I have since often observed, how incongruous and irrational the common temper of mankind is, especially of youth, to that reason which ought to guide them in such cases—viz. that they are not ashamed to sin, and yet are ashamed to repent; not ashamed of the action for which they ought justly to be esteemed fools, but are ashamed of the returning, which only can make them be esteemed wise men.
 
--x--
    So ever faced this situation? Ever failed in something and you know it is not wise to adventure anymore but still you had to because you might become the laughingstock of people around you?  How on the earth am I supposed to face such a crisis? Kindly advise me!! 

with warm regards
AllMyPosts

2 comments:

MorningAJ said...

I think if you learn from your mistakes there's no dishonour in failure.

Melodie Wright said...

Well, sometimes it's better to be laughed at than ruined.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...