Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Afraid? Me? Well .. Hmm .. Yeah ..

Hello Everyone,

   How is the week going on? Mine is good thanks to Christmas, Boxing day, New Year and all. Well ... My apologies too, for I am becoming more and more lazy in posting / blogging / commenting / carrying out my daily routine. 
   Were you afraid anytime? Had insecurities? Hmmm.. yeah, I do have them even now. I am afraid of the unknown. Sometimes about being left alone by my friends (for whatever the reason), afraid of failing and afraid of being ridiculed. 

    Few moments ago *read .. before starting this post* I was reading the GUNS OF NAVORINE by MacLean, Alistiar. The book is of genre World War II fiction. *I shall do a review of the book and give out more details from it later*. For now, I am impressed by the book and intend to complete it yet enjoy every reading the book.

Here is a small excerpt from the book:

--x--
 "Now I know you _are_ new to this game, Andy." He smiled again. "Maybe you think I was laughing and singing all the way up that cliff? Maybe you think I wasn't scared?" He lit a cigarette and gazed at Stevens through a cloud of drifting smoke. "Well, I wasn't. 'Scared' isn't the word--I was bloody well terrified. So was Andrea here. We know too much not to be scared."

      "Andrea!" Stevens laughed, then cried out as the movement triggered off a crepitant agony in his boneshattered leg. For a moment Mallory
thought he had lost consciousness, but almost at once he spoke again, his voice husky with pain. "Andrea!" he whispered. "Scared! I don't believe it!"

 
     "Andrea _was_ afraid." The big Greek's voice was very gentle. "Andrea _is_ afraid. Andrea is always afraid. That is why I have lived so long." He stared down at his great hands. "And why so many have died. They were not so afraid as L They were not afraid of everything a man could be afraid of, there was always something they forgot to fear, to guard against. But Andrea was afraid of everything--and he forgot nothing. It is as simple as that."

  He looked across at Stevens and smiled.
      "There are no brave men and cowardly men in the world,my son. There are only brave men. To be born, to live, to die--that takes courage enough in itself, and more than enough. We are all brave men and we are all afraid, and what the world calls a brave man, he, too, is brave and afraid like all the rest of us. Only he is brave for five minutes longer. Or sometimes ten minutes, or twenty minutes--or the time it takes a man sick and bleeding and afraid to climb a cliff."
--x--

So what do you think? It is wrong to be afraid? The books says guarding against all physical dangers is how you survive @war field. But what about insecurities of the heart? of the mind? Is there a way out?

with warm regards
Abhishek Boinapalli

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...