Friday, July 8, 2011

Fantasy -- Prophecy

Hello Everyone,

 How is life going on?? Enjoying I guess!! 

  Few days back, a friend of mine introduced me to Percy Jackson, the demigod (aka Half-blood, Half-Human, Half-God), the son of Sea god. Here is a small excerpt from the Percy Jackson & the Olmypians "The Titan's Curse"

--x--
     "What about the monster Artemis was seeking?" I asked. "Do you know what it is?"
Apollo Sun God, Apollo Happy God, Apollo Feiry, Apollo Ferocious
Apollo Sun God

     "No," Apollo said. "But there is one who might. If you haven't yet found the monster when you reach San Francisco, seek out Nereus, the Old Man of the Sea. He has a long memory and a sharp eye. He has the gift of knowledge sometimes kept obscure from my Oracle."

      "But it's your Oracle," I protested. "Can't you tell us what the prophecy means?"

      Apollo sighed. "You might as well ask an artist to explain his art, or ask a poet to explain his poem. It defeats the purpose. The meaning is only clear through the search." 

     "In other words, you don't know."
Apollog Sun god, Apollo, Apollo happy god
Apollo Sun God

      Apollo checked his watch. "Ah, look at the time! I have to run. I doubt I can risk helping you again, Percy, but remember what I said! Get some sleep! And when you return, I expect a good haiku about your journey!"
--x--
     Ha!! Awesome right?? The meaning is only clear through the search. Ha!! So why do Ever thought how important role the prophecies play in the fantasy related books? 

  • Lord Voldemort is all crazy about the prophecy made by Professor  Sybill Trelawney 
  • Angela's prophecy for Eragon of trouble, women and future 
  • Prophecy regarding undead army of oath breakers in Lord of Rings series 
  • Prophecy about four humans who shall end the winter by defeating the witch in Chronicles of Narnia, ..


     I hope this is ringing a bell. Prophecy and fantasy go together right?? You read any fantasy book without prophecy? Books where the main story is not foretold in prophecy?? Let me know!! And what are your other favorite fantasy books??


with warm regards
AllMyPosts

5 comments:

E. Arroyo said...

I've read Joe Abercrombie and RA Salvatore books that are great reads if you like war and mayhem with a mix of magic and monsters.

Author Joshua Hoyt said...

I really enjoy the dragonlance books

marit said...

What about Phillip Pullman? He was my favorite as a kid

Unknown said...

GREAT!

are you interested in working for Bluebell Books writing Fiction Book REview?

let me know by sending an email to

bluebellbooks4u@gmail.com,

no payment, post biweekly.

Unknown said...

Hello: Happy Weekend!

Write anything coming to your mind based on the image we provide for week 5,
Share with us.

Bless you,
Hope to read your entry.
Cheers.
xoxox

it seems like you are a fantastic writer and book reviewer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...