Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Book Excerpt -- The Hobbit -- Lord of Rings

Morning Everyone,

     How is life going on?? Well Well, I started living again *read .. I started reading a book again*. Started with my copy of The Hobbit of the Lord Of the Rings.  I heard a lot of praise of the book and the movie too. Gonna check it out for sure. Here is a small but funny excerpt from the book:
--x--
Good Morning, Good Morning Sun, Sun saying good morning
Good Morning Everyone

“Good Morning!” said Bilbo, and he meant it. The sun was shining, and the grass was very green. But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out further than the brim of his shady hat.

“What do you mean?” he said. “Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”

“All of them at once,” said Bilbo. “And a very fine morning for a pipe of tobacco out of doors, into the bargain. If you have a pipe about you, sit down and have a fill of mine! There’s no hurry, we have all the day before us!” Then Bilbo sat down on a seat by his door, crossed his legs, and blew out a beautiful grey ring of smoke that sailed up into the air without breaking and floated away over The Hill.

“Very pretty!” said Gandalf. “But I have no time to blow smoke-rings this morning. I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it’s very difficult to find anyone.”
Good Morning, Morning Coffee,, Morning
Morning Coffee

“I should think so—in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them,” said our Mr. Baggins, and stuck one thumb behind his braces, and blew out another even bigger smokering. Then he took out his morning letters, and began to read, pretending to take no more notice of the old man. He had decided that he was not quite his sort, and wanted him to go away. But the old man did not move. He stood leaning on his stick and gazing at the hobbit without saying anything, till Bilbo got quite uncomfortable and even a little cross.

“Good morning!” he said at last. “We don’t want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water.” By this he meant that the conversation was at an end.

“What a lot of things you do use Good morning for!” said Gandalf. “Now you mean that you want to get rid of me, and that it won’t be good till I move off.”
--x--
     My goodness, it looks like Gandalf is quite queer a character. Gotta check him out!! Are you done with The Hobbit? How is it? Liked it? Full of fantasy and adventure or some oldman's tale??

with warm regards
Abhishek Boinapalli

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have yet to read Lord of The Rings I ought to dig a hole in the ground and never come out GAAAAH, interesting excerpt! I'm now a follower of your blog:)

-Alicia
bookaworld.wordpress.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...