Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Author Interview - Emlyn Chand

Morning All,

Today we have Emlyn Chand, the author of Farsighted and OpenHeart answering a few questions to us. Here we go:

--x--


Please tell us in one sentence only, why we should read your book.
If you’re looking for a YA read that tackles the real-life problems associated with being a teen (bulimia, bullying, parents – to name a few) and also has a compelling paranormal aspect, then look no further!

What inspired you to want to become a writer?
Um, hello! I was born a writer, of course. Just look at my twitter bio: Emlyn Chand emerged from the womb with a fountain pen grasped firmly in her left hand (trust story). In all seriousness, I’ve been writing since before I could write, if you know what I mean. I’ve always loved inventing stories or “tall tales” as my parents call them. Writing became my career about three years ago when the local paper offered me a book review column and the dream fulfillment that came along with it. That gave me the courage and consistency to write novels. Open Heart is my third written, but second published.

Any other books in the works? Goals for future projects?
You can count on me to always have at least half a dozen balls in the air. My current project is Fall Back, the first book in a new YA science fiction series called The Timewalker Chronicles. I’m having a blast getting to know this new set of characters, but I also look forward to transitioning back to the Farsighted series and writing the third installment, Pitch.

What is one book everyone should read?
My favorite book is A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving, definitely. The novel has so many layers and entertains on so many levels. Also the characters in that novel seem more real than those from any other I’ve ever read. It’s just beautiful—that’s the only word for it. This one book everyone should attempt regardless of genre preference.

Tell us your most rewarding experience since being published.
Hearing someone liked my book. Yes, it’s as simple as that. Farsighted has won something like ten awards now, and each of those makes me feel great, because it means someone got what I was trying to do and appreciated it. I also love it when fans email me or connect with me on Twitter and Facebook—those simple little things make my day so bright. Don’t forget to reach out to your favorite authors; we just love it!

What was your favorite book when you were a child/teen?
The book that changed my life is Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crocket Johnson. It opened my eyes to the world that could exist if only I was willing to create it—I think it’s what encouraged me to be a writer in the first place. I became an avid reader when I discovered Babysitter’s Little Sister by Anne M Martin at the age of 7. I used to read 2 of them per day!

What's one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?
Something’s gotta give. If writing is important, you’ll move around other aspects of your life to get it done. You have to. Writing is not something you can do with just a little bit of effort. To get through the first draft, editing, what-have-you, you'll have to work hard! Yes, you could space it out over several years, but if you want to finish anytime this year, you’re going to have to make sacrifices. For me, this was less time with friends and family, less television, and less attention to my health (eating right and exercising).

 When you were little, what did you want to be when you "grew up"?
When I was really little, I planned on being a zoo keeper. In elementary school, I was going to be a Disney animator. In high school, I was going to be a lawyer. And in my early years of college, I was going to be Ambassador to Russia :-)

What's the craziest writing idea you've had?
Most of my ideas are zany! The zaniest is probably the first I ever had. At the tender, innocent age of 15, I started writing a feminist slasher based on Frankenstein—a woman is driven mad with grief and become a serial date killer, murdering men with features that look like those of her deceased husband in an attempt to rebuild him. I was such a simple, sweet kid ;-)

Who or what inspired you to become an author?
My genes or maybe the compulsion to be a writer is some form of mental illness. Whatever the cause, I can definitely say that I was born this way.
--x--

wishing Emlyn Chand all success
Abhishek Boinapalli

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...