Friday, April 1, 2011

Chasing Your Dreams

  The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is a book about chasing our dreams. It is cool book with the theme "When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person to realize his dream". 
      When, a Shepard, sold all his sheep and started traveling towards Pyramids to realize his dream, he finds himself falling in love with Fatima, he finds that he can read omens and help everyone out. He has a lucrative offer from the tribesmen to become counselor of oasis. He doesn't understand whether to part with his love an chase his dreams or stay back. Here is a small conversation between the Shepard and Alchemist, from the book:

--x--
        "Let me tell you what will happen. You'll be the counselor of the oasis. You have enough gold to buy many sheep and many camels. You'll marry Fatima, and you'll both be happy for a year. You'll learn to love the desert, and you'll get to know every one of the fifty thousand palms. You'll watch them as they grow, demonstrating how the world is always changing. And you'll get better and better at understanding omens, because the desert is the best teacher there is.

          "Sometime during the second year, you'll remember about the treasure. The omens will begin insistently to speak of it, and you'll try to ignore them. You'll use your knowledge for the welfare of the oasis and its inhabitants. The tribal chieftains will appreciate what you do. And your camels will bring you wealth and power.

      "During the third year, the omens will continue to speak of your treasure and your destiny. You'll walk around, night after night, at the oasis, and Fatima will be unhappy because she'll feel it was she who interrupted your quest. But you will love her, and she'll return your love. You'll remember that she never asked you to stay, because a woman of the desert knows that she must await her man. So you won't blame her. But many times you'll walk the sands of the desert, thinking that maybe you could have left… that you could have trusted more in your love for Fatima. Because what kept you at the oasis was your own fear that you might never come back. At that point, the omens will tell you that your treasure is buried forever.

       "Then, sometime during the fourth year, the omens will abandon you, because you've stopped listening to them. The tribal chieftains will see that, and you'll be dismissed from your position as counselor. But, by then, you'll be a rich merchant, with many camels and a great deal of merchandise. You'll spend the rest of your days
knowing that you didn't pursue your destiny, and that now it's too late.
--x--


        Most of us are always in the same peril, same confusion.  We  may be good at my day job today, We earn our livelihood from it and have infinite scope to grow. We don't have any reason to doubt it.You will grow and grow, but is that what you want?

       May be yes, May be no. My dreams are important to me. I wanna be a author and become immortal by producing books novels of which people are in awe of. I can't be another dumb engineer, I am not created for it. Just remind yourself about this excerpt whenever you are in doubt and start chasing your dreams a fresh. What do you do? Where do you look for inspiration when running behind your dreams looks foolish? When you are in doubt?

 

In
 Doubt, Cartoon Pictures of doubt, man in doubt, cartoon doubt
In Doubt
    This post is for the A - Z blogfest, from the book Alchemist, for the post on letter A. Please do leave a comment on the post, so that I can  check out your blog for today's post. Don't forget to grab a copy of the book here





 

with warm regards
AllMyPosts

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Immortality is why we write!

Su said...

Sounds like a cool book. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I've read this book and loved it. I linked to you on my post for B, because I used the prompt you suggested.

PK HREZO said...

What a great post. I love The Alchemist... such a wonderful story. It was good to read this and be reminded of its riches. I have to read it again. There's an alchemist in my WIP and I always think of this story.

I don't write for immortality. I write because it brings me joy and challenges my creativity. I find it immensely fulfilling and if I can one day support myself by doing it, I will have found peace with the world.

Nice to meet you.

Unknown said...

Great post! I'll be back to read more later.


My A to Z

Anonymous said...

Cool!!

We must chase dreams irrespective of anything?? It's not so easy!! I even forgot what my dreams are!! When you have two kids and a family to feed .. it is not right to run behind dreams

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...