Saturday, April 16, 2011

M for "Men Win Glory"

Hello Everyone,

   For the letter M, I can post something or the other from the books I have read. But, a friend of mine, has recommended I write something about the book "Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman" a 2009 book written by Jon Krakauer, is a biography of Pat Tillman, an American football player who left his professional career and enlisted in the United States Army after the September 11 attacks.

   Well, I didn't read the book yet and my friend isn't ready to do the post for me. So I decided to simply publicize the book here. Ha, I am good right?? Yeah, I am gonna read the book for sure. Here is the book review taken from NewYork Times. 

--x--
     The story of Pat Tillman, the professional football player killed in Afghanistan in 2004, was simultaneously appalling and inspiring — which helped explain, perhaps, the mesmerizing grip it had on the United States. It showed America at its best and worst, at a time when the country was engaged in a deeply polarizing war. At the least, it had all the ingredients of a very good book.

       Most everyone, at least in the United States, is familiar with the basic facts: Tillman, a free-thinking, hard-hitting safety for the Arizona Cardinals, walked away from a multimillion-dollar contract after 9/11 to enlist in the Army. He joined an elite unit, the Rangers, and was killed on April 22, 2004, in a canyon in eastern Afghanistan. The story did not end there: Tillman’s commanders and possibly officials in the Bush administration suppressed that he had been killed accidentally by his own comrades. They publicly lionized Tillman as a hero who died fighting the enemy and fed the phony account even to Tillman’s grieving family. The sordid truth, or most of it, came out later.
--x--

    Have you read such a book? A book about such exceptional persons?

with warm regards
AllMyPosts

4 comments:

Angela said...

You're a nice friend.

August said...

I haven't read this one, but Krakauer is a great non-fiction writer. "Into Thin Air" was marvelous; so was "Under the Banner of Heaven."

Unknown said...

I haven't heard of this, but it sounds like an inspiring story.

T.x

Author Joshua Hoyt said...

I look forward to following your blog and seeing more of your excellent posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...